Cat Hoke on Prison Reform and Second Chances
Entrepreneur, speaker and author Cat Hoke, has dedicated her career to helping others get a second chance at life. She sat down with host Robert Glazer to talk about her experience working with incarcerated inmates, helping them rebuild their lives, and seeing how they make an impact in their own communities.
Cat is the founder of Hustle 2.0, a non-profit with a vision of ending mass incarceration by teaching entrepreneurship to incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people, and help them build a new legacy. She is also the author of the best-selling book, A Second Chance: For You, For Me, and For the Rest of Us
On this episode, you’ll learn about:
- How Cat left a career in finance to pursue her purpose.
- How Cat removed her preconceived biases about incarcerated people and learned to empathize.
- What mandatory minimums are, and the way they lead to longer prison sentences even for smaller crimes.
- How common it is for minors to get sentenced, and have that label follow them their entire lives.
- How several aspects of the prison system lead to people getting repeatedly re-incarcerated.
- How Cat’s organization helps incarcerated people rebuild their lives.
- Examples of how Hustle 2.0 has changed lives and communities.
- Robert’s own experience at a Hustle 2.0 program, and how it widened his perspective.
- A mistake Cat has made, and what she learned from it.
Links from the Episode
A Second Chance: For You, For Me, For the Rest of Us by Cat Hoke
Host: Robert Glazer
We hope you enjoyed this Elevate podcast episode. If you did, we’d greatly appreciate you rating and/or reviewing it on Apple Podcasts. You can also subscribe so you don’t miss an episode!